Content

winter:circle time

8.1.15
Circle time can be a hit and miss with the little ones - we don't do it every day.  Sometimes, it's because the kids just want to get right into playing...or they just don't want to be interrupted from playing, if they've already gotten into it. 
Putting together our Winter circle time activities was quite fun. I did it quite last minute, but I think I got just what we needed. I strive to find activities, songs, and finger-play that will engage different age groups-challenging at times, but not impossible, especially if there's movement involved.

Circle time in our home is about starting the day.  We start each circle time with our circle affirmation (as I call it). If the kids are not in the circle, then I sit in my place (after putting out circle basket in the center), and start singing our song, it's an open invitation to come to the circle. I've learnt it's best to not single out any child to come to the circle ...


Then one of the kids "light" our first candle. 
We always, regardless of the season do our welcome song (en Français)...to the tune of Frère Jacques) 
Bonjour *name* x 2
Comment ça va? x 2
Très bien merci...
etc etc

We then sing about 1 or 2 songs, do 1 finger-play and a very short story usually a French book...that's it. Kids don't like to sit for a long time, so if I find that they're not interested, or a child wanders off - that's fine. if they all wander off, then I know that's it - circle time is over.
Our Winter Circle...

2 songs

(To the tune of Frère Jacques) 
Dance like snowflakes
Dance like snowflakes
In the air
In the air
Whirling, Twirling snowflakes
Whirling, Twirling snowflakes
Here and there
Here and there

I'm a little snowflake
I'm a Little Snowflake (tune I'm a Little Teapot)
I'm a little snowflake, Look at me.
No other snowflake is just like me.
I am so unique, as you can see.
And just as special as I can be!

Finger-play

Way up high In the winter sky , 1 little snowflake caught my eye.
Down to the ground it fell without a sound.
And before very long , It was snowing all around

1 little snow flake hit the ground... 
(then 2...3 etc)

For our book of the month (January - Stranger in the Woods)
*Finger Play
A chubby little snowman had a carrot nose.
(show long nose with a closed fist like a trumpet in front of face)
Along a came a bunny, and what do you suppose?
(Hands show the bunny hopping)
That hungry little bunny, looking for his lunch,
(wiggle nose like a bunny)
Ate the snowman's carrot nose,
Nibble, nibble, crunch
(pretend to eat the carrot)


That's our Winter circle stuff...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.