Content

Take care: Germs (part 1 of 3)

10.2.15
This is part 1 of 3 in the second part of our "Take Care" series. In the first part we were discussing fire and household safety (those posts will come later on). In the 2nd part, I will be talking with the kids about other health and safety issues - like hygiene and self care.

I've raised a few kids so when it comes down to the basics, I think I'm pretty consistent, but you never know. For example, at 16 mos. when Z coughs we tell her "cover your mouth"...I never actually taught  her that (yet). She picks up so much from big brother that she doesn't even know she's learning. Now to be fair, Z still coughs in her hand, because it's really what she knows...perhaps the mouth to sleeve things is just too much coordination for her (?)


Today we started learning about germs and the importance of hand-washing, and not spreading germs. There's no doubt that we have all been sick lately. I can't say that my lesson is going to keep the kids from getting sick, but it will really make a difference in the spreading of germs.
I found a really cool poster online, by accident, now I can't remember the link.

I used that poster to walk each child through the process of hand-washing, and our discussion about germs and being sick was really great...these kids are really smart.

I'll let the pictures do the talking teaching
I did this activity right before morning snack. It was perfect timing! I then sent each child to wash his/her hands following the instructions on the poster. They did a great job!

I told them that practise makes perfect, and if we follow those instructions every single day - very soon they wouldn't even have to look at the poster.
I didn't even put up the poster and they remembered each step.

Main points
1. don't spread germs - cover your cough or sneeze
2. use a tissue to wipe your nose...not your hands - ask for help if you don't know how to wipe your nose
3.  hand-washing keeps your hands clean and washes away germs that can make you, your friends and parents sick
I loved this useful link here.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.