Content

Hurry up & Wait: Teaching kids to observe in nature

19.3.15
As a parent and caregiver there are some things that never change
...I always find myself telling the kids to pay attention.
...pay attention to those toys on the floor...don't trip
...pay attention to your food...
...take care...don't step on the crawling baby etc etc
...open your eyes ( even if you are afraid)
try
try 
try 
try it...
It seems there is always something that needs to be watched, tended to, fears to be conquered. There's curiosity...questions to answer...new things to try or taste or touch. With little ones there is so much life in every activity - it's amazing!
We grow and learn with kids in so many ways. One of the things that I see is the need to be reassured and be confident in every area of play. Since we are a nature-based home/program, I like to extend the rules far beyond our walls...far beyond the safety of home.
I must show the kids the beauty of nature, and the outside world without making a big deal about it. I want exploring nature to be an extension of their day, not "the other thing"...
When we are outside I tell them:

...close your eyes

...open your eyes
...look up
...look down
...look under things
...be still and watch
...be still and listen
...breathe in (real deep)
...touch 
...smell 
...laugh aloud...as loud as you want
... just play


These are the rules. There's no punishment for not following the rules, but the reward (when they do) are so gratifying.


What do you think...are you excited for spring?

linking with my town shoot out, country kids

5 comments:

Nicola SeaThreePeeO Carpenter at: March 20, 2015 at 6:12 AM said...

Wonderful post and fantastic pictures.

Tracey S at: March 22, 2015 at 8:19 AM said...

Aww, they look like little explorers, it's great to see little ones enjoying the great outdoors!

Coombe Mill at: March 22, 2015 at 4:51 PM said...

Nature is there to be explored and played with by inquisitive young minds, this is where they learn best, out in the fresh air,looking, listening and learning by doing. Gorgeous photos of your preschool children doing just this. Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids.

pixiedusk at: March 23, 2015 at 2:53 PM said...

We are excited for spring as the things that we need to do is endless!

I always tell my son to pay attention too but his mind seems to always wander around! He just loves to explore his environment and love little details so sometimes he doesnt pay attention even when I tell him to pay attention to where he is going =P #countrykids

ann nz at: March 23, 2015 at 5:17 PM said...

kids are so cute, especially in that double carrier.

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.