Content

Creamiest vegan tomato soup recipe

5.10.15
 Soup season is upon us. I guess it doesn't make much of a difference for the little ones, because we have Soup day year round, but for me there have been changes- significant changes.
First, you know about the diet restriction thing that I have going on. Then, there's the matter of one of my little ones having some restrictions as well. 
Whatever the case, we have had to make some changes, and asap.
Today was our first soup day of the autumn season. I know! I know! You're going to say, well what's the difference if we always have soup day. Well, the difference is that the ingredients change, and now with the dietary "stuff", the ingredients really change and will continue to change and be modified as I learn how to do this.

For my first attempt at making a creamy soup without cream, butter or milk, I was sort of stumped. Sure, I could have gone with chicken soup or something like that, but nope, I decided that the kiddies would have tomato soup today.

Long story short. I did it! My cousin who has gluten issues as well gave me a secret she found online - adding bread chunks and olive oil to the mix. And just because I was  daredevil, I decided to add my coconut, almond blend to the mix.
Dare I say it was a hit?
Ingredients
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsb crushed or minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 slices whole wheat bread - torn into rough 1/2-inch pieces
2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Minced chives, basil, or parsley as garnish
Toasted bread or grilled cheese for serving

Directions
  1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat until shimmering. Add garlic, and oregano. Cook, stirring frequently until onions are softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add bread and tomatoes. Roughly mash tomatoes with a whisk or a potato masher. Add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
  2. Transfer half of soup to the jar of a blender. Blend soup, starting at low speed and gradually increasing to high. With blender running on high, gradually trickle in half of remaining olive oil. 
  3. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with remaining half of soup and olive oil. Ladle into individual serving bowls, top with minced herbs, drizzle with more olive oil, and serve with toast or grilled cheese.




      1. Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    “A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
    ~ Forest Witcraft

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    Copyright & Disclosure

    All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

    Read Disclosure here.