Content

Gluten-free vegan flax bread pudding

25.1.16
It has been very hard for me to get used to the taste of most gluten and or vegan friendly foods.  I think it's simple for a lot of people, but for some reason my brain has not gotten the message that this is my new reality. That's why I was pleasantly surprised when (at first try) I baked a gluten-free/vegan treat that did not come out hard or weird looking, and that I actually liked right off the bat.
It was baking day and (since I am on the honesty train) I must admit that I was not inspired to make anything. I used to plan ahead and get ingredients as needed, but now I tend to look in the cupboards and whatever I find that's what we're making. I have to change that.
Anyways, I had made some apple peach pear  sauce that morning, and I had bread- yay for us right? Actually yes, it was a pretty good day for us, because it was not an over the top, or sweet treat.

I used 5 slices of bread...mixed the 1/2 cup of sugar with 2 cups of milk and soaked bread in mixture. When it was all soaked, I rolled it in the apple sauce mixture (that's 2 cups of the sauce).
I must note that I have xanthan gum (aka egg substitute), but it hurts my tummy, so I don't use it or any other egg substitute (I will have to write a post about that sometime soon). 

Also, the bread was a lot thicker than "normal" bread, so I soaked it a bit longer (about 15 mins. more). I poured a little bit of milk over the mixture after it had been in the oven for about 15 minutes because it was looking a bit dry (maybe I could have soaked more?). I baked on 375 for a little under an hour and drizzled a tbs of honey on top just before removing from oven.

In the defense of anyone who has ever shared a vegan/gluten-free recipe with me. I tend to be a rogue baker, therefore, always adding or omitting certain ingredients. Oh, and I thought the kids would hate the flax in the bread, but they loved this recipe. I will make it again.






Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.