Content

Easy date smoothie recipe

10.2.16
Our diet (in and outside of daycare) is pretty consistent. Items such as lemons, olive oil, molasses, rose water and dried fruits are pantry essentials for us. When one of my little ones have really hard bowel movements I turn to dates first. IF constipation becomes an issue then we bring out the prunes.

Dried fruits, such as dates,  prunes, apricots, raisins and figs, are a great source of dietary fiber (thanks grandma), which naturally fight constipation. When I was a child these sources were added to our regular meals and desserts. We didn't know any different; but now I understand why. 
One of our friends is having some tummy issues, so I started thinking about doing something that pushed for a more communal snack (rather than "treating" a problem) + fight the child's constipation as well. I decided to make a recipe that I use when I'm fasting - a date smoothie. This recipe was a hit with the children. My littlest referred to it as dessert :)

Recipe
1/2 cup dates, pits removed
1 cup unsweetened almond milk  
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1 tsp proactiv chia
1 cup ice

Directions
​Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth.
Pour into glass & garnish with cardamon
* (you could add 1 banana for a creamier smoothie)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.