Content

Soup day: Vegan Gluten-free Bell pepper soup w/ roasted baby potatoes

8.2.16
I Love soup day. One of the reasons why we (me and the kids who are old enough to understand what we doing) do is because there is always a big surprise...
The big question on Monday morning is what will we find in our soup basket today?
Today, 2 parents bought bell peppers, Z added 4 potatoes, but ran off with them- in the end, I used 2 for the soup. One parent bought a bag of baby potatoes. I added some of the potatoes to the soup, but decided that we would do something a bit different with the others- we made roasted potatoes. It was actually one of the easier soup days for us.
Some friends had the potatoes in their soup- others ate it on the side. Yummy! 

Do you remember this recipe where I used bread not only to thicken the soup but to replace the dairy?  Well I did the same here, with great results...
I roasted the potatoes in a thyme, garlic, rosemary and cilantro mix w/ olive oil
Bell Pepper Soup Recipe
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 red bell peppers - chopped
10 baby potatoes
2 carrots - chopped
1 sweet onion -  chopped
2 cloves garlic -chopped
2.5 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme  (I didn't have fresh) 
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 slices of whole wheat bread (I used gluten free)

Directions
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the bell peppers, carrots, onions, baby potatoes (skin on), and garlic. Cook and stir the vegetables until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the broth, thyme, salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
Toast the bread (very well but not burnt). Add toast to soup (while in pot) and let sit for a few minutes.
Blend the cooled soup until smooth using an hand-held immersion blender directly in the pot. Or use a blender, and blend the soup in batches until smooth.
Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.