Content

You Rock: Our Valentine's Day Craft

7.2.16
I am not into the commercialization of any holiday. I wasn't raised that way, and being a mom of four, I know it's a sure-quick way to lose all my money. 

That being said, I always try to put a little bit of enthusiasm into all that I do ...for the sake of the kids. I love building and helping them create memories, and I guess holidays do that don't they?
This year even though our main February focus is on Book-giving Day, our friends will be sharing Valentine's cards. Instead of forcing all parents to buy cards, I figured we would do something that captures the essence of our daycare, and two words came to mind: creativity, and nature. 

I found Linda's idea here, and I just loved it. As you can see from Linda's page,  this craft is a simple idea, and definitely a keepsake for the kids.  Still I didn't want to have to go out and buy any more items for yet another holiday - yes, the candy is all bought.  In addition,  I didn't see the benefit of the kids not really participating in the activity if the stones were store bought.
So on one of our recent nature walks I asked the kids to pick up a few stones. We brought them back, and surprisingly, none of the kids asked what they were for :)
About 3 weeks later (after rocks were washed and polished), I took them out on our last painting day. When the kids sat down the began to question why there were rocks and paint AND Q-tips.
Ah, the Q-Tips, lol. Well, some of the kids know exactly what Q-Tips are for, and thought I was silly for even thinking about using them to paint.
I cut the hearts and glued to thick scrap-booking paper - that's the back of the card
The reason I wanted to use Q-Tips was because I think it really helps with fine motor detailing- just try to paint with Q-Tips and you will see what I mean (especially painting a small object). The plan is that every child (almost) painted 1 rock. Some painted more than one in place of an absent friend. Then each child will be gifted a rock painted by one of his/her friends (sort of like a gift exchange). 
It worked out perfectly, wouldn't you agree? Beautiful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.