Content

Our Earth Day 2016 {part 1}

27.4.16
The children and I agree that spring is a really perfect time to celebrate Earth Day. They wouldn't mind celebrating in autumn either :)
My recovery has been slow but steady, and we have a full plate already, so I simply wanted to cut some activities from our week, but celebrating Earth Day was not one of them. You can't have a nature-based dayhome and NOT celebrate Earth Day. That's a big no-no. 
We never have all the kids on site at the same time - unless we have a celebration (even then...). This means that the children don't always get to share special treats and activities with everyone.
We kept our day simple. A bit of food; a bit of art, a nice book, free play, and loads of fun.

For our craft (we did this the day before), we made a collage from found objects. Upon going out for nature walks and just hanging around the house the kids were asked to collected a few items and put them in a basket that I left for them. The items had to be nature-related (they were not confused at all :)
Knowing each child's personality, I knew who would collect rocks, who hates feathers, and who would grab the earthy stickers that I left in plain sight.

I absolutely adore these earth collages. I always love the way the kids bring their own skills and likes to our crafts and I was very happy to see them working on the craft together. I set up the activity on the floor instead of the table, so that the kids could all access the treasures equally.
I think we will do this again and again. It was fun.

Finished products...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.