Content

Highlights from Small Wonders Art & Brunch 2016

9.5.16
Food, family,  Fun + Art was the highlight of Small Wonders' first art show. The show went off without a hitch. Ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but we prefer to focus on the hits, not the misses (which were not many btw).

The exhibition showcased 1 piece of work (per child), discovered during their experiments with painting, and mixing colours. The Small Wonders (as they are referred to) welcomed parents, extended family, and friends to Studio C on a bright Saturday morning. 
How did this even come about? Well, Small Wonders' motto, "Where we Find Wonder in Every Season", is expressed in all activities; especially in the arts. On any given day, the children are allowed to create.
Sometimes we use nature as a backdrop. The children are encouraged to paint, draw and colour on various nature outings; in fact the children painted their masterpieces in our garden. 

Collaborating with Studio C was a bit nerve-racking at the beginning. I was actually quite nervous about putting myself, my business and my children's work "out there". Now I'm happy that I connected with Colin Menzies, and the award-winning studio. 
Getting the parents excited about the art show was not difficult. Parents agree that the joys of creative exploration and discovery, can never start too young. 

Parent, Erin Elder, agrees that art is crucial to a young child's development, "I think art is so important for our little ones as it fosters creativity and has so many developmental benefits. I love that exploration and inventiveness is fostered through art at Small Wonders!" 

Another parent of one of my 2 year olds noted, "My son has the freedom to explore and use his imagination at SW. He is encouraged to take risks and challenge himself. To take the time to connect with the natural world around him. I believe these activities promote creativity; a skill that is often overlooked and underdeveloped."
The silent auction was also a hit. With sponsors and donors from local businesses, such as Heritage Park, local artist Kathy Lycka, Good Earth Coffeehouse-Glenmore Landing, Stettler-based Photographer Chloe Buie, Scentsy Consultant Janna Leibel, local knitting genius Kelsey Gyarmati's children's author Wendi Silvano (who all jumped on board right from the start), as well as parent donors, there was an array of interesting goodies.
I believe it is important to protect and honor the magic of childhood. I always emphasize creativity, imaginative play and joyful engagement with the natural world. This means going above and beyond to celebrate each child's diverse abilities. With a mix aged group, my goal was to celebrate the skills and milestones of each child - I think we pulled it off.


Many thanks to our Wonderful ASSISTANTS

Iman –  personal assistant
Jillian – photography/ set up
Jessica W - photography
A. McLeod - set up/photography
M. McLeod - photography
T. Cyr - donor/administrative




A Special Thanks to our Sponsors

Andrea McLeod
Chloe Buie Photography
Naomi Jensen – Fitness on the Go
Good Earth Coffeehouse - Glenmore Landing
Heritage Park Society
Kathy Lycka Whimiscal Art
Kelsey's Knits
Scentsy (Janna Leibel)
Studio C Collaborative Art Centre
Sugarfina (Iman)
T.Cyr
Wendi Silvano & Sourcebooks


We could not have done it without you!

3 comments:

Baby Isabella at: May 10, 2016 at 2:09 PM said...

What a fantastic event and such a good idea! I like to think I'm a little artist in the making. The artwork they created looks fab! #LetKidsBeKids

Karen Bell at: May 11, 2016 at 6:52 AM said...

Great event. Love children exploring art and their creativity.
Thanks for sharing with #LetKidsBeKids

Ethan.n.Evelyn at: May 13, 2016 at 1:03 PM said...

Wow! This is Amazing! What a great way to celebrate the mini artists. Great work! I wish that we could come and join you. :) #letkidsbekids

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.