Content

In the garden: All about Butterflies

8.8.16
We did a fun butterfly craft that the children loved. Nothing fancy about it; in fact it was so simple, that they didn't need much assistance. Before we share our craft, I will say that learning about caterpillars was very interesting for me as well as the children. Quite often I am able to teach the children things that I know quite a lot about. This unit was very different for me, as I was learning in the process. 

The children and I (without a plan)  ended up finding a bunch of caterpillars in the back garden. Truth is I wasn't very pleased about it because they were eating my veggies. In other words, they were pests in my garden. My initial intent was to remove the whole bush from my garden, as most of them were on a particular plant at the time. However, the children were excited about our discovery so I let it be.
The children know what caterpillars look like, but they weren't always able to identify with the fact that this was one part of the life cycle of a butterfly. I think when working with children, visuals are very important.
So we made this little interactive activity. The pieces are not glued to the paper, so the children pick them up and move them around... :)
Verses we learned

/The Caterpillar
The fuzzy little caterpillar went up into a tree (act like you're climbing)
Spun his cocoon and then (yawn) went to sleep (spin hands)
While he was sleeping he dreamt that he could fly (make flying motion)
When he woke up (loud & excited) he was a butterfly!

/The Butterfly Song
First comes a butterfly and lays an egg.
Out comes a caterpillar with so many legs.
Oh see the caterpillar spin and spin and spin,
A little chrysalis to sleep in.

Oh, oh, oh, wait and see
Oh, oh, oh, wait and see
Out of the chrysalis, my oh my,
Out comes a beautiful butterfly!


Now on to our craft...
I used some foam stars ( I cut them into the shape of butterfly)
We used scraps from the cut pieces to decorate our butterflies
We left the long end of the pipe cleaners so that we could fly our butterflies (or in our case), chase our friends.
We loved this site

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.