Content

Take a Child Outside Week & Bits of Bliss

1.10.16
It's always so difficult to start a new month when I haven't ended my posts from the last month...I'm working on it. 
September 24-30th was Take a Child Outside Week. The week was designed to encourage children and adults to spend time together outdoors. Well, we always enjoy the great outdoors, but we take every opportunity to find "stuff" to do and celebrate any initiative that put kids (and adults) in nature.

When we go outside, even if we go to the same spot every single time, it's like we're just new to the neighborhood - it's so much fun with the kids. Last week, however, I captured the children in different places, doing different things; from showing off a new nature find, to reflecting, to cooking in the backyard's mud kitchen, to admiring pretty flowers on the street.

One of the things that we do is nature. We love nature; we respect it, and we can't focus without it. When I was a child, I spent so much time outside, it's strange to think that in 2016 there are initiatives to get kids outside. I truly believe my love for nature was cemented in my ability to explore. I was an athlete whose skills, agility, and endurance took root in nature. It also doesn't hurt that I spent the first 9 years of my life on a tropical island :)

I want my children to know nature. I don't want it to be an afterthought. I want to allow the children  in my care to explore, and learn, and sometimes tumble, and get back up. That's nature. I want them to take their love of nature with them, and hopefully years from now they will be active adults with an unapologetic love for the outdoors.

Take a Child Outside Week was the idea of environmental educators at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. The concept was inspired by the 2005 groundbreaking book “Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder” by Richard Louv.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.