Content

Recipe: Curried Rice Pilaf

23.11.16
It has been too long since I've shared a recipe here. I will tell you that it doesn't mean that we aren't mixing it up in the kitchen, or trying new foods - we do a lot of that.
This week we tried a variation of a meal that (for now) has the wow factor going on -  rice pilaf. How do I know this? Because they ate it all up, and asked for more.

Generally, rice pilaf is on our menu- well, it's not technically - but it falls under rice and chicken :). Because, seriously, how many ways can you prepare rice and chicken?!
When I found this recipe I was up for the challenge, and ready to try something different. I guess I should say I was doubly challenged; because trying a new recipe is hard enough, but introducing it to a group of little people, and getting 2 thumbs up, is priceless. 

Note: I made my own modifications from the host site. I didn't use Thai red curry paste, instead I made a paste from turmeric. I also didn't have any cilantro, and I didn't use onion. Also, please note the original poster's comment about not adding the salt until the end.
...and because I tend to over -speak, I will simply share the recipe now :)

Curried Rice Pilaf

Ingredients

    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup diced onion
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon minced ginger
    1 cup uncooked basmati rice
    1 cup uncooked red lentils
    1½ cup fresh diced tomatoes
    1½ teaspoons Garam Masala
    2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
    ¼ cup diced fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
    ½ cup canned coconut milk
    3 cups water
    ½ teaspoon kosher salt
    Few grinds freshly cracked black pepper

Instructions
    In a medium sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, heat oil over medium high heat.
    Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for three minutes.
    Add dry rice and dry lentils and sauté for two minutes.
    Reduce heat to medium and add fresh tomato, garam masala and curry paste and stir and cook for one minute.
    Add cilantro, coconut milk and water and raise heat to high.
    Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to low.
    Cook covered for 20 minutes.
    Remove from heat and add salt and pepper, stir and let sit covered for five minutes.
    Serve with additional chopped cilantro.


Happy eating! 

Linking with A little Bird Told Me link party.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.