Content

Run Run as Fast as You Can: Bonhomme en pain d'épice Part 2 of 2

15.12.16
Here's the 2nd part of our Gingerbread man story. Read part 1 here. We have just finished this activity, and I must admit a bit sad to be moving on to something else...it has been fun!

Gingerbread Dough (for cookies)
We used this recipe. I substituted molasses for honey, and made some other adjustments (more spices etc). It's hard to share the changes, because the adjustments were made as I went along.



Gingerbread Playdough 
(I'd like to thank Shannon for freeing my hands of this)
Recipe found here.

Activities
I added a gingerbread man cookie cutter and a rolling pin without instructions. One friend picked up the pin and got to work, pretending to make a real gingerbread man, while chanting "run run as fast as you can..."

Instead of buttons and beads (a normal playdough fave), I set out some "scents from the kitchen" like anise and cloves, and the children went for those first. The scent of ginger, cloves and anise just spelled baking, don't you think?
One friend added some pipe-cleaner for hair (I believe), which was quite neat.
I noticed another friend simply kneading the dough...he didn't want to make a gingerbread man :)
Yummy gingerbread pumpkin smoothie recipe
We found this recipe.

Ingredients - We made some changes:
1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt - coconut yogurt
3/4 cup ice cubes
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup - honey
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 -inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated - 1/4 tsp ground ginger
Pinch ground cinnamon

Pinch of cardamon (powder)

French learning
bonhomme en pain d'épice - gingerbread man
une vache - a cow
un couchon - a pig / un porc
un cheval - a horse
un renard - a fox
un homme - a man
une femme - a woman
a boy- un garcon
le four- the oven

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.