Content

Winter Warmth

31.1.17


“Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow”
~T.S. Eliot
                                                           
  We’re in the heart of Winter, and  yet it doesn't feels so warm. It takes a lot of work for me to sit still - to not do anything. I think a lot of moms are like that. I am always planning, and doing, and going. Interestingly, it is the children who force me to stop more often than not. It is the children who need me to slow down, and breathe, and take notice of my surroundings. I guess children do that for a lot of people.
Winter is a different kind of season. To me, it is like no other. It is a time for quiet reflection, and stillness - even as snow (sometimes) falls down all around us. It is also a time when we seek comfort, warmth, and protection from  the elements. Inside the house, I see the children huddle just a bit closer when they are playing. 

Warmth and comfort is so important for children. There are so many ways to provide warmth, regardless of a child's personality or age. A gentle hug always warms the heart. Warming foods and drinks are so important year round, but especially in the colder months. Around here, emotional and mental warmth is stimulated through play and activity, as children practice breathing exercises (yoga/meditation), cuddle up with a silly book, or listen to storytelling.
The words meditation or relaxing time always leads to some groaning or whining- it's pretty much the same friends who do this :). I understand.
Stillness and children almost never go together. Furthermore, I have come to the conclusion that my idea of stillness is far from their idea or concept of stillness. It is what it is. At the end of the day. it's not an impossible fit, but, they are children after all, they like to move. 

That being said, slowing down is a MUST for every child. There is little room for compromise on this matter. Our meditations never last more than 10 minutes max, and when it's all done with, the children are noticeably more relaxed...for a few minutes anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.