Radunsky's vibrant book combines visuals, and encourages (young) children to use their 5 senses to discuss the topic of peace. Using quotes from children in an International school in Rome, this book takes a serious matter, and gets right down to the child's level.
Working with younger children, I think the word peace can be so abstract. I think this is true for many people. We use our senses in every day life, and I think this is why it sticks with the younger reader. Going even further, the books illustrates how we all see, hear, feel, taste and smell things differently - something that we take for granted. For example, many of the children's answers are practical, and the pictures helped to draw the children into the text. I thought that was awesome!
I encourage you to read this book, or create your own activity exploring ways to talk about peace at home with your child (no matter the age).
BOM Activity ~ Storytelling & Meditation
Peace starts within. Even young children can practice meditation. For this exercise I didn't capture any photos (perhaps if Iman was here I would), but I needed to be as engaged as the children, so we left the camera aside.
On a cool autumn morning, the children and I practiced a simple breathing technique, which I think is perfect for anyone-any age, and be used anywhere and everywhere. The children and I spoke about the importance of letting our brains help us sometimes when we feel tired or just moody.
I asked the little ones to sit down in a circle (as we do for circle time). I then asked them to close their eyes (no peeking or giggles). First we did some mimicking- to make sure that everyone was present.
We played Salma Says. I asked them to "cough" "wiggle their tongues" and "pretend to sniff the air" - all with their eyes closed..
We then moved on to the exercise. I asked the children to breathe in slowly and breathe out X 3 (of course I did this with them).
I then began my storytelling for the day, about 3 little kids, 2 girls and a boy (MB, ZA, & JM). In the story, I took them to familiar sights - like the backyard in our garden, then to the green space that we visit weekly. They walked over the bridge to a magical place where there was an ice cream shop. I asked them to think about their favourite ice cream flavour.
I told them that they could put ANYTHING at all on their ice cream. (I gave them hint), like peanut butter, strawberries, sprinkles, even macaroni and cheese). Giggles were heard.
Then I finished the story by asking the children to come back home for lunch, and I counted down from 5, and told them to open their eyes.
We've done another storytelling & meditation activity since that day. I had the children lying down, which is think is better. We will see...



0 comments:
Post a Comment
“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft