Content

Search this blog!

Actually this is NOT Homeschooling

16.4.20


...let's call it isolation schooling. Let's call it anything but homeschooling.

Last week was a long, yet short week for my children. 
Our teachers returned from March/Spring break with lots of ideas about where their schooling will be heading (at least for now).

If I can be honest it was tough.
It was one of the toughest weeks for me because it confirmed what I already knew - homeschooling
at this time, is NOT homeschooling.

As a former homeschooler, I realized that I needed to throw everything that I knew,

everything that I have taught myself, have learned from my various mentors out the window.
Ok! Maybe not everything, just most of it.

As a former homeschooler, I wondered aloud almost every day since we have been here in this situation - how are the non-experienced mamas and papas doing it? Because, I have a lot of experience and this is harder than I thought it would be.

I have written for years about my own experiences as a homeschooler, and the wonderful benefits of following each child's learning style. This is not my intention for this note. 

My intention is to point out a few things...

My children will grow no matter what. I know this! They will excel. They will complete tests - like all the other children being schooled all over the world right now. They will learn - they will pass - and finally, they will move on.


I am going to shake things up a little and say that OUR first priority ever is making sure everyone feels safe in this anxious time. Our work is to take the millions steps to creating a peaceful home where our children can express their fears and anxieties.


Years from now, they may not remember that math equation, or that reading assignment. 

But they will remember our smile, and our warmth.
They will remember the smell of the kitchen as they ate breakfast, or lunch or a snack.
They will remember going for breaths of fresh air - in nature, and having conversations about their likes and dislikes.
They will remember moments of silliness, and messing up rooms that no one made a fuss about.
They will remember our patience - even when we were gritting our teeth and holding our breaths.

For the sake of our children...!

2 comments:

Marie Kléber at: April 17, 2020 at 12:59 PM said...

So true Salma!
I try to focus on this and let go on other things. I am not a teacher and I have no patience at all.
But we are doing great things together:laughing, playing, creation, cooking, making silly things. And this is what matters!!

Sending you much love!

Small Wonders at: April 20, 2020 at 11:39 PM said...

That's perfect Marie. There is always room for discovery, and improvement. I think even some teachers have a hard time with their own children too. The dynamics are just different.
Thanks for stopping by.

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft