Do you have any smart home devices at home? Why? Why not? Let me start by saying that I've always had a hard time adapting to change. I never enjoyed adding new and upgraded devices to our home, be it a new toaster or vacuum cleaner.
My family will agree that it takes (what feels like) forever for them to talk me into changing or purchasing newer and better electronics. I am definitely a bit sentimental, and I think being a child of the 80's I just like what I like. My motto is, "if it ain't broke why bother?"
My family had been talking about the wonders of the Amazon Echo for a few years. There was also talk of purchasing Google Home, at one point as well, but the Echo remained the number one option. I will admit that I didn't know about anything about these devices, didn't care, and had no opinion.
As a busy autism, preschooler, homeschooling, learning/teaching mom, I never wanted anymore devices in the house. My house is always noisy or eerily quiet, if you know what I mean, and I just figure that an Amazon echo was a ridiculous and frivolous purchase, made for young adults who are not busy distracted occasional homemakers like myself. Boy was I wrong. Alexa has proven to be a useful addition to our crazy household.
Here's why:
It's all about information. My inquisitive autistic child is a dictionary, and an encyclopedia all in one. Typical days outside of homeschool are centered around his quest for knowledge. With our Echo Dot, he likes to ask out of this world questions, like "Alexa how many moons does Saturn have?" Or, "Alexa where's the milky way located exactly?" He already knows these answers but alrighty then, he wants to hear them again and again.
Secondly, I have a preschooler. I don't want her watching Youtube videos all day. With Alexa she gets to be the boss. Ultimately she thinks she's telling Alexa what to do, and I don't have a problem with that.
A typical day sees my preschooler being entertained with songs and music, she's a happy threenager, and I will not kill her vibe. I like to think of Alexa as a fun preschool teacher. Ok, that's going a bit far. But I mean who doesn't love a preschooler who likes to go on bear hunts on a whim? And I must admit, I also have a new found love for Raffi. Alexa did that!
Third, Alexa helps me homeschool. She's a great teacher's assistant in some ways. For example, I use my device to set alarms and timers, and give me basic information that I need on a whim. Did you know that Alexa can translate English words to French? Win!!!!
I also play a variety of music from The Best of Mozart for our quiet reading/meditation sessions, to pop and dance music for our after school jamming sessions. She even helps with our violin and piano homework.
As I write this, the kiddos are washed up and ready for bed, and listening to a strange song about NOT stepping in lava by the Scratch Gardeners - a new fave in our house. If you haven't heard this song, or any of their other songs, you must have a listen. Only good times and good vibes friends.
But, alas, there is one drawback, and this may be a personal thing, please don't laugh at me. I have heard many individuals wonder aloud if having the Amazon Echo's smart home system leads to an invasion of privacy. Having an Echo in my house makes me feel as if there is another human living inside my home, inside my walls, inside my head...Eeeeeek.
I mean sometimes the device just turns on, and sometimes when she goes a bit rogue, I actually have to yell at her, like she's one of my children. That's definitely one of the things that I am still wrapping my head around and questioning. Is Alexa one of us now?


0 comments:
Post a Comment
“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft