Content

In the garden: tomatoes

11.8.16
Did you know that the children and I have been growing tomatoes? Growing an edible garden is  a lot of fun. One of the drawbacks of growing and gardening with children is their eagerness to just pick and pull up anything that they can get their hands on. I guess it is quite tempting. 

This issue has come up a few times, and has become a very common occurrence with our tomatoes. Each of the younger children have plucked green tomatoes from their vines, leaving me with the option of having fried green tomatoes (which we did actually), or waiting for the tomatoes to ripen.

While I don't encourage the children to pick the fruits prematurely, I remembered something my grandmother used to do when I was younger (I probably picked the green tomatoes too :))
We simply place the tomatoes in a brown paper bag, and put them in the cupboard for a week or so, and they will ripen. Keep in mind that they will not necessarily ripen at the same time, but they will eventually.
We baked this recipe using tomatoes & other herbs from our garden. I used a variation of this recipe. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.