Fall, the best time of year. The weather is not too cold, and not too warm.
For our weekly collaboration, I thought it would be great to get the kids outside.
Surrounded by all the natural elements, and a nice cool breeze, I began assembling a few "ingredients" for a meal.
Without words or gestures, I presented the children with various flowers (petals), leaves, seeds, liquid watercolors, glitter, dish soap, dill, ground turmeric, and a tub filled with warm water.

For our weekly collaboration, I thought it would be great to get the kids outside.
Surrounded by all the natural elements, and a nice cool breeze, I began assembling a few "ingredients" for a meal.
Without words or gestures, I presented the children with various flowers (petals), leaves, seeds, liquid watercolors, glitter, dish soap, dill, ground turmeric, and a tub filled with warm water.

So what had happened to the vegetables, I wondered aloud. Soon, a friend realized what was happening...they had sunk to the bottom.
Why did the glitter float on top of the soup? How come the soup looked different (lighter/darker) in each friend's bowl?
This discussion made me think of a quote from educator and philosopher John Dewey, that I came across a few years ago. It said:
“Give the pupils something to do, not something to learn; and the doing is of such a nature as to demand thinking; learning naturally results.”I couldn't agree more.
Stay tuned for pics from the weekly collaboration post...coming soon.






0 comments:
Post a Comment
“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft