Content

Search this blog!

Learn Outside

30.10.19
"Schoolhouses are made wrong. If they must be, they should be built in a woods pasture beside a stream, where you could wade, swim, and be comfortable in summer, and slide and skate in winter. 

The windows should be cut to the floor, and stand wide open, so the birds and butterflies could pass through. 

You ought to learn your geography by climbing a hill, walking through a valley, wading creeks, making islands in them, and promontories, capes and peninsulas along the bank. 

You should do your arithmetic sitting under trees adding hickory-nuts, subtracting walnuts, multiplying butternuts, and dividing hazelnuts. 
You could use apples for fractions, and tin cups for liquid measure..."
~Laddie, A True Blue Story by Gene Stratton-Porter




2 comments:

Marie Kléber at: October 31, 2019 at 1:48 AM said...

Nature is definitely the best place to be, play and learn!

Small Wonders at: November 5, 2019 at 2:51 PM said...

@Marie
Yes! Absolutely!

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft