Content

Search this blog!

Easy Peace Paper Plate craft

13.11.19
The children and I are talking about peace. I am "trying" to talk about peace, while simultaneously holding space for the children to ask questions about things that they do not quite understand.  Peace after all is not a word or idea, it's quite complex - do adults even understand?

Last week's collaboration was a fun painting exercise. I wanted to do something that didn't take a lot of prep time, and that would easy for all the kids to do, without much intervention. 
While creating this craft, I wanted to have a light discussion about peace. It's important to help young children understand that freedom is a privilege. 
Here is our craft:






    EASY PEACE PAPER PLATE CRAFT


    SUPPLIES & TOOLS:

  • 1 paper (or) foam plate 
  • various colours of paint
  • paint brushes
  • painter's tape, masking or scotch tape
  • paint pallette/ plate /container to for paint
  • construction paper cut into strips to write names of friends


DIRECTIONS:


  1. create a peace sign on the paper plate using tape by making one straight line down the middle of the plate and then adding two diagonal pieces from the center.
  2. I assigned each child to one section of the plate (4 sections = 4 kids)
  3. allow children to decorate their part of the plate
  4. once the plate was finished I hung it to dry.
  5. once dried peel off the tape
  6. have friends write their names on the strips of paper
  7. tape strips to back of the plate & hang your wonderful creation for all to see.



2 comments:

Marie Kléber at: November 14, 2019 at 2:10 AM said...

"freedom is a privilege"
So true.
Love the way you mix arts and talking

Small Wonders at: November 14, 2019 at 1:37 PM said...

Thanks Marie.
It was a serious discussion.

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft