Content

Search this blog!

All Aboard the Story Truck

10.2.20

Who needs a library on wheels? Small Wonders does! We have to admit that it's not always easy getting out. Even as a nature-inspired dayhome,  it can be difficult to get all the children up and out in the cold from the cold fall months, to the deep snowy winter days.
Reading is the source from which we pull 99% of our activities and inspirations, so having a library come to us, is pretty awesome.

Aboard Calgary Public Library’s Story Truck, you’ll find story time, song and rhymes, play time, and of course books — all for children from 0 to five years of age.
The Story Truck visits day homes in select neighbourhoods once a week for a month, bringing fun and learning to each visit.

The library's free Library Month at Your Day Home program is a hit for my little ones. I'd prepared the children for our visit and they were giddy with excitement. They were waiting and watching, and when the truck pulled up they couldn't get their shoes on fast enough.
I LOVE the fact that the truck comes to our house. I love the fact that Ms. Courtney, our facilitator got right down to the children's' level and made them feel at home - aboard the bus of course.

There is really something for any child. Or should I say every child?! Ms. Courtney started off with a song, then a story/book, then some finger play and singing, and another story. I really liked the fact that there was room in the truck for movement. There was a little break in all of that. The 45 minutes is just right, because the children don't have much idle time (we all know what happens when children are idle).

Our friends were also able to take out books...I did as well, and Small Wonders was left with a big bin of books - ours to keep and read for one whole month. 
Oh, and one more thing; The newest Story Truck on the road features illustrations from Mo Willems, children’s author and creator of Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
The children coloured some groovy pigeons after our visit.

We cannot wait until our next visit.


Happy reading everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft