2 of our friends decided to make magic wands. They used them for painting as well.
While Tuesday is Atelier day, the children get to spend as much time as possible creating in the space. In fact, the space is open to the children most of the day because there are so many things that the children can learn while being creative.
I think many people, some parents even, would never associate playing with painting, or drawing, or even colouring. I, however, have witnessed many instances where the children are deep in their play as they create, connect with the other children around them through oral-storytelling, as well as creating patterns and sequences.
Our atelier is for every child. There are always many invitations set up to pull the child in, as I know their interests and reinforcements. The children are able to choose most materials provided to them (on lower shelves, or left as invitations).
Sometimes they create pieces of art that leads to questions about their techniques. Such was the case when a friend created a picture of gum ball machine. I was curious as to how she had done it, and was equally pleased how she'd experimented with the materials.
On the other hand, I noticed a little friend using a non-water colour brush for watercolour painting. It wasn't easy for her to achieve the results she usually does (when she uses the "right" brush), but I left her to her. It's all play, and a learning experience.
I always tell the children not to focus on the end result, just to have fun. And after reviewing my photo documentation, I can see that they are learning a lot and having fun too.
Take a look at what they did this week:
|
0 comments:
Post a Comment
“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft