Content

Search this blog!

Weekending March 13th, 2020

15.3.20
It was THAT kind of week. You know, the full week, the creative week, and the questioning week. The kind of weeks that many of us have been dealing with lately.
As time passes we are not sure exactly where we fit into this epidemic puzzle. We are striving. We are vigilant, but we are also unsure of what is coming.

At the beginning of the week we were ready and prepared for fun, laughter and learning. By the end of the week, however, with more confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus, we had cancelled meet ups/field trips, changed some policies and practices, and in 4 hours on Friday morning, I had taken the play space apart, emptied every basket, washed linens, silks scarves and costumes, pulled furniture from every nook, and disinfected 4 rooms that are used on a daily basis. 

The children have not been kept in the dark (although the delivery of information mattered).  I've been careful with my words. But truthfully, I don’t have that much information anyway. Let's be honest, talks about and of illness is still a bit taboo isn't it?  So we talked about health, and wellness hygiene - and community- which is not a conversation reserved for COVID-19. In essence, these  are the basics of every day life.

The children in my care are loved and honoured. They are also treated as individuals with agency.  Some of the solution lies in what they learn about themselves and the world. That’s what matters. It's how they begin to shape themselves inside a community. It's a little bit about knowledge and responsibility. 


AHS strongly urges anyone who has symptoms, including a cough, runny nose, fever or sore throat, to self-isolate for 14 days.
We are giving each and every family the power to choose what is best for their family. There are no guarantees. We will get past this, but in the meantime we have some work to do. Take care and happy new week.

cleaning day...




0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft