Content

Search this blog!

Small Wonders & COVID -19

18.3.20



The need for a bit of social distancing in order to keep us all as safe a possible, is our new reality.  This is a difficult and challenging time that none of us could have predicted. I am pleased however, to see all the community workers, families and friends who have reached out to me as a friend, family member,  but also as a childcare provider and business owner. It made me think about how our little community can allow us to stay connected and feel supported during all of the uncertainty.

It's going to be a ride for sure. Not sure if it's going to be a long or short one, but we all know that change is constant, and community is what keeps us going.
It's amazing to see how individuals come together in times of crisis. Small Wonders looks forward to being a part of a community of childhood educators who can help provide support, inspiration, and practical resources as we move forward.

We'll be re-evaluating the decision to remain open on a daily basis and will keep you informed of any further changes. 

In the mean time, I have created a space (blog) for each child to stay connected while we are apart. Thanks to all parents who got in touch. Please know that your child does not have to participate, if it becomes time consuming or disruptive.

Please encourage your child to view all the photos and artwork daily work. And please let me know before 11 am which book your child has chosen for the storytime. I am anticipating, not always having the quiet space needed for storytime (I don't have a laptop). 

I do have/use Zoom on my desktop, but my phone goes with me wherever I go, so let's please connect on FaceTime or WhatsApp. Please let me know ahead of time what you use.
I am sorry for being vague with my actual story times, but with a 2 year old (insert eye roll emoji here, lol).

You can also leave comments  or notes on the blog for your friends, or Ms. Salma.
We have 3 ways that the children can get involved, without (hopefully) taking too much adult time.

Here's the Plan...the blog can be found here.

Idea #1
Photography Challenge 
Purpose: Creativity & documentation

This mini project will be starting on Wednesday morning. Each morning by 10 am,  I will post a photo prompt.
Each child will use a phone, camera etc to capture the theme of the day.
Let's not get hung up on details. Each child sees things differently. I just want the children to have fun.
Please ONLY send the ONE photo that you want me to post.

Idea #2 
Petit Atelier
Purpose: Display children's work
This works if moms & dads have a printer at home. 
Activity sheets are available here.
Each child can download and colour pictures.
I will then create a gallery on this blog, as well as the Small Wonders blog of their work.
Don’t forget to have kids write their initials so we can identify and celebrate their art.

Idea #3
Story time & Catch up
Purpose: Connect and literacy

I will connect with your child for 15 minutes to get a quick low down of their day and read a story.
A list of books can be found here. You do not need to have the books at home.
Each child will chose 1 book. Mom and dad text me the title by 11 am.
I will send a message to confirm what time I will be calling. Mom and dad confirm if timing is ok.
Catch up and reading session will be a maximum of 15 minutes.

As a homeschooling mom, I also use and explore multiple sites. See some useful links here.

I hope everyone is doing well!




Photo Challenge
/ thank you LL, Moonface, EL and Wildrose :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft