Content

Search this blog!

A Day in the Life of our Homeschool

15.11.20

I get asked a lot about what our homeschool days look like, so I think I will try to simplify our days here. I feel like our days are crazy, but during the evenings as we settle down, I become a bit sentimental about the time we spent together. It's wild lol. Take a look.

 7:00am - Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!

That's the echo of WildRose's voice in all our ears. Since the time change, we don't manage (on most days to get out of bed before 7:30am) which is REALLY late. We used to wake up at about 6:45 am.

 7:30am - Really wake up/ brush teeth/change clothing and scarf down breakfast before 8 am. It pays when you only have to run down the stairs to get to school.

 8:00am - Morning meet up - last for about 15 minutes. Sing national anthem.

 8:15am - Rainman checks assignments for the upcoming day, and finishes anything that needs to be done. IF nothing to be completed reads in English quietly.
 8:15am - Moonface checks assignments for the day, then does her morning workout with (you will love these) Joe or the Captain America workout

 8:30am - Moonface goes online for 1/2 of her French lessons/assignments. Assignments range from learning nouns, adjectives, and science = very interactive with lots of opportunities to engage and practice public speaking.

9:00am - 11:45am - Rainman goes online for lessons. Like Moonface all lessons are in French. Unlike Moonface, lessons are more instructional and less interactive.
I write 9-11 am, however, there is a break from online at about 9:45 which allows him to do some formal work aka (the take away activity). He then rejoins the group at 11:00 am.

10:00am - Moonface, who would have been completing a take-away activity, rejoins her class/group for math or social studies.

Note: Snacking and mini breaks take place at various times/intervals. Activities during break consist of movement breaks - yoga poses, waving/throwing silk scarves, stacking blocks, sand play, and drawing (to name a few).

1:00 pm - Lunch/free play
 
(please see note) - 5pm - Aside from music lessons, the children do not have any other formalized post-homeschool or extra-curricular activities. After school activities are mostly planned depending on various factors. For example, some days if we need to leave the house for lessons, homeschool ends promptly at 1 pm. Some days it ends at 3:30 pm for one child, or 4 pm for another. 

The activities listed does not include weekend programming. Some of these activities are formal lessons (marked with *)
  1. Nature play/bike riding/Pokemon playing (trading)
  2. Violin/piano lesson with instructor*
  3. Painting
  4. Baking
  5. French conversation tutor*
  6. Beeswax, play-dough modelling
  7. Music lesson/practice
  8. Arabic/Islamic lessons with dad
  9. Online chat/conversation (discussion)/reading *
  10. Free drawing- crafting time--based on morning lesson or seasonal themes
  11. Reading (French/English) alternated especially for Rainman.
  12. Chores/fighting over chores
  13. Journal writing
 
5:00pm - Dinner

5:30pm - Chores/clean-up time

6:30pm - Free play options (kids decide) cause mom needs a break!

7:30/8:30pm - Prepare for bed/take bath or shower, whine about going to bed, read stories or listen online to Vooks, whine some more, or go to sleep.

I am working on a post that breaks down how I (hub)homeschool a child with autism; as in what tips, tricks and tools I use to keep us motivated and on track. I am putting compiling a list of materials and resources that we use here.

I would also like to share how I am helping Moonface navigate between French and English at home, AND what we do with WildRose while we are formally schooling. Watch out for that post in the next couple of weeks.

Here are some of the things that keep us sane and organized in our homeschool days...another more in depth post is coming regarding what I do behind the scenes.

 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft