Content

monday's soup: Wild rice and vegetable soup

5.1.15
My camera didn't really disappoint me today, but it's still acting up.  As long as I can get some visual images, I don't quarrel with it.

Today was soup day. At this point soup day is always interesting. How so? Well, you see, working with kids of various ages, schedules and moods affect the whole scene. Sometimes I end up making the soup by myself. Sometimes, I am surrounded by the kids and their activities. And sometimes, they are napping  or resting...peace  and quiet!
Today we had one napper, and 2 helpers. One thing that I never do is plan for our soup day. There's simply no reason to - we always have something (veggies, starches and loads of spices) to make a yummy soup. Now that the weather is cold outside, I do think about providing the kids with something that is warm and hearty...
This week's soup is wild rice with veggies. By the time soup was cooked, every child was awake, alert and hungry.
I have noticed that big boy loves helping to prepare the soup but he's not that big on eating it...the babies on the there hand are all about eating it all up (or would that be drinking it?)
Whatever the case, they insist that they feed themselves, which is funny and messy and funny!
Adapted from this original recipe
Ingredients
3 carrots, sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 large portabella mushroom caps, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
1 large white onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, in juice
1⁄2 head cauliflower, florets and stalks chopped
6 ounces fresh green beans, cut into small pieces
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 cup wild rice, uncooked
7 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets and chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
Coat a stock pot with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
Add first 6 ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, until volume reduces by approximately 1/3.
Add the diced tomatoes and stir well.
Add the cauliflower, green beans, and zucchini.
Cover with 7 cups of water, bring to a boil.
Add bouillon and stir.
When bouillon dissolves, add the rice and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Happy Monday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright & Disclosure

All text and photographs in this blog, unless otherwise noted, are Copyright © Small Wonders Dayhome & Playschool. All Rights Reserved. You may not reproduce, distribute, alter, or republish any photos or content from my site without my written permission.

Read Disclosure here.