“It takes time – loose, unstructured dreamtime – to experience nature in a meaningful way…”
Last Child in the Woods, Richard Louv
We've been busy with our Earthschooling activities. Earthschooling The weather has been very up and down. Sometimes we can only go as far as the backyard, while other days, we wander quite far away from home.
Earthschooling is all about the children, in fact, my role is that of a simple guide, supporting them in experiential learning, being close by as they engage in healthy risk-taking - climbing, jumping and twirling comes easy for some, but not as easy for others.
I am also present to help them connect with each other. I will share snippets of how we are learning (or, nature is teaching our friends) all about cooperation, healthy boundaries, and empathy.
Earthschooling began with the children simply finding their footing, and their breath outside. The weather changed drastically on a daily basis, which was a tribute to the "exciting" western Canadian climate.
It was also important that the children were left to their devices (so to speak), on numerous occasion, because I truly believe that not every moment needs to be a teaching moment. In fact, isn't nature the best teacher after all?


0 comments:
Post a Comment
“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft