Content

Search this blog!

10 things to Say instead of Good Job!

8.9.19
One of the things about having young children in my care is the overlap between home and 2nd home (my playschool). Often, children are used to being praised by their parents in ways that are very different from how I like to praise, or give feedback.
Upon completion of a task, especially one that the child has been learning for a while, we are all guilty of simply exclaiming "good job", and moving on to the next thing. 
I'm not here to say it is wrong. I am here to say however, that we should strive to be more meaningful in our praise or recognition of hard work.

Here are some things that you can say instead:



  1. "Wow, You did it!"
  2. "I'm so happy that you tried!"
  3. "You figured it out."
  4. "Thank you"
  5. "You gave it your best."
  6. "You look excited...that's wonderful!"
  7. "Tell me all about it!"
  8. "I liked when you did ABC."
  9. "That was hard work, but you kept trying."
  10. (Say nothing). Give your child a high five
It's not that easy to change habits. It takes effort. Wanting your child to feel good is not a problem. But taking the longer route, and sharing in their joy, and  accomplishments will help grow their self-esteem, and more importantly, open up a new avenue for . you to communicate with your child.

So, how can you make this change immediately? Start by choosing 2 of the phrases. Use them over and over until it becomes natural, then interchange them as you go. You might be shocked to see how often you simply blurted out "good job" to your child.
You can do it! Try it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank…but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child.”
~ Forest Witcraft